Friday 14 June 2013

Blessed

I wanted to post this yesterday, but, I was too exhausted to type.

I am a HUGE family girl.  Call me biased but I think I have the best family.  Everyone of them is so genuine, caring, loving, generous...just to name a few of their qualities.  I'm going to speak about one family member in particular in this post, but just know they are all equally amazing individuals.

I have been close to my Nanny (grandmother) since I was in diapers.  She holds a very special place in my heart.  When we moved from Yorkton to Regina, my Nanny moved to stay close to us.  When we moved from Regina to Calgary, she moved to Calgary. When my parents moved to St. Albert a couple years ago, my Nanny moved to St. Albert.  It is very evident that she can't live without us, nor can we live without her being close.

Yesterday morning I called my Nanny to ask her to look after Beckham, so I could go back to my parents house and hopefully catch up on some sleep. I got about 3 - 1 hour increments of sleep the night before.  One night with little sleep is manageable.  Three consecutive nights with little sleep, and I was struggling!  (My husband is out of town working). I hadn't known the true meaning of sleep deprived until this week!

'Well rested babies make happy babies and well rested parents make happy parents and happy parents make better parents.'  Amen to that!  (I got that little blurb out of a book)

I dropped Bekx off with my Nanny and drove to my parents house to nap.  I had just layed down and the phone rang, it was my Nanny calling.  The bottle I left her with was leaking like a siv and the baby was soaked in milk, not to mention he couldn't eat.  Since I nurse Beckham, he isn't bottle fed and there was obviously a malfunction at the junction with this bottle!  My plans of napping were ruined.  I hopped in the vehicle and drove back to my Nannys to feed the baby.  I decided I'd just lay down in her bed and try to sleep, while she looked after him.  I never did fall asleep because by this point I was overtired and all I could think of, was how badly I needed to sleep.  This used to happen when I would work nights.  I physc myself out and am unable to sleep.  I rested for an hour.

My Nanny, Beckham's GG, has been such a huge part of his life.  She loves him like no other, and though she's almost 80 years old and I feel bad that she might struggle to lug him around, she is always more then happy to help me out!  She has babysat for me numerous times, while I go to appointments.  He really lights up her life and its so amazing to see how much love she has for her entire family.  Her grandchildren mean the world to her and now so does her great grandson.

I talk to my Nanny at least once a day.  She is the first person I call when I'm upset (usually something my dogs done).  Though her words are rarely comforting ('just shoot him!'), I know she just hates to see me upset.  This woman is straight laced and as real as they get, she says it how it is, and never sugar coats it.  I guess I take after her?...so they say!

We ended up spending the entire day there with her and she had so much fun cuddling and playing with him.  And I got a break, as I just visited with her and fed him when he was hungry.  Though I never did get to catch up on sleep, we had a very enjoyable day.  I can only hope that I can give my family the love, help, and the generosity that she has given to me and my son,each and every day of her life.  I love this lady more than words can say!  I am so blessed to call her my grandmother.

xo
A


No comments:

Post a Comment